A Brilliant Legacy
T. G. Hawkes & Company
Born in County Cork, Ireland in 1846 to a prominent family with a glassworking heritage, he emigrated to the United States in 1863. His career began as a foreman for glass factory Hoare and Daily in Brooklyn, New York moving with the company to Corning, New York in 1868.
Once in Corning, he soon opened his own cutting shop which was incorporated as T.G. Hawkes & Company in 1890. This on the heels of success the year before when Hawkes famously won acclaim and Grand Prize at the Universal Exposition in Paris.
European taste for sparkling cut glass at this time was emulated in the United States in what was called the Brilliant Cut Glass Period. Over 1,000 cutting shops were founded to meet the demand and T.G. Hawkes & Company flourished. The company was in operation for 82 years.
The story begins with Thomas Gibbons Hawkes.
The T.G. Hawkes trademark is now owned by Hawkes Crystal and we are incredibly proud to be reviving the brand. Over 100 patterns were created by T.G. Hawkes, the most famous being the Nautilus, Chrysanthemum and Queens patterns.
Our mission is not to reproduce original Hawkes designs revered by collectors, but to translate these original patterns and shapes into a new modern collection. To design hand cut crystal intriguing to new generations and traditional T.G. Hawkes & Company collectors alike.